ABC Construction (ABC or the “Company”), an SEC registrant, is a construction company that manufactures commercial and residential buildings. On March 1, 2018, the Company entered into an agreement with a customer, Village Apartments, to construct a residential apartment building for a fixed price of $1.5 million. The Company estimates that it will incur costs of $1 million to complete construction of the apartment building. The apartment building will only transfer to Village Apartments once the construction of the entire building is complete. In addition, Village Apartments has various design requirements that would require ABC to incur significant costs to rework the building prior to selling it to a customer other than Village Apartments.
To construct the apartment building, ABC acquires standard materials that it regularly uses in construction contracts for both residential and commercial buildings. These materials are used to manufacture generic component parts for inclusion in Village Apartments’ residential buildings. These standard materials remain interchangeable with other items until they are deployed in a Village Apartments building. The Company has made the following purchases and incurred the following costs throughout the construction progress:
• As of June 30, 2018, in total, ABC has purchased $75,000 of component parts. As of June 30, 2018, $25,000 of component parts remain in inventory and $50,000 have been integrated into the project. Further, ABC has incurred $12,500 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project during the three months ended June 30, 2018.
• During the three months ended September 30, 2018, ABC purchased an additional $500,000 of component parts ($575,000 in total). Of the $575,000 of component parts, $325,000 remain in inventory and $200,000 have been integrated into the project during the three months ended September 30, 2018. During the three months ended September 30, 2018, ABC incurred an additional $50,000 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project.
• As of September 30, 2018, ABC determined that the project was over budget and revised its cost estimate from $1 million to $1.25 million.
• As of December 3, 2018, the construction project was completed. During the three months ended December 31, 2018, ABC purchased an additional $425,000 of generic component parts ($1 million in total). Of the $1 million component parts, $0 remain in inventory and $750,000 were integrated into the project during the three months ended December 31, 2018. ABC has incurred $187,500 of direct costs to integrate the component parts into the Village Apartments construction project during the three months ended December 31, 2018.
If Village Apartments cancels the contract, ABC will be entitled to reimbursement for costs incurred for work completed to date plus a margin of 20 percent, which is considered to be a reasonable margin. ABC will not be reimbursed for any materials that have been purchased for use in the contract but have not yet been used and are still controlled by ABC.
1. Does the performance obligation meet any of the criteria or recognition of revenue over time?
2. How should the entity recognize revenue for the satisfaction of its performance obligation? What amount of revenue should be recognized for the following periods:
2a. The three months ended June 30, 2018?
2b. The three months ended September 30, 2018?
2c. The three months ended December 31, 2018?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.