Written Assignment 6: Gases
Answer all assigned questions and problems, and show all work.
1. A gas occupying a volume of 725 mL at a pressure of 0.970 atm is allowed to expand at constant temperature until its pressure reaches 0.541 atm. What is its final volume? (5 points)(Reference: Chang 5.19)
2. The volume of a gas is 5.80 L, measured at 1.00 atm. What is the pressure of the gas in mmHg if the volume is changed to 9.65 L? (The temperature remains constant.) (5 points)(Reference: Chang 5.21)
3. Why is the density of a gas much lower than that of a liquid or solid under atmospheric conditions? What units are normally used to express the density of gases? (5 points)(Reference: Chang 5.30)
4. A sample of nitrogen gas kept in a container of volume 2.3 L and at a temperature of 32°C exerts a pressure 4.7 atm. Calculate the number of moles of gas present. (8 points)(Reference: Chang 5.31)
5. What volume will 5.6 moles of sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) gas occupy if the temperature and pressure of the gas are 128°C and 9.4 atm? (8 points)(Reference: Chang 5.33)
6. A gas-filled balloon having a volume of 2.50 L at 1.2 atm and 25°C is allowed to rise to the stratosphere (about 30 km above the surface of Earth), where the temperature and pressure are –23°C and 3.00 × 10–3 atm, respectively. Calculate the final volume of the balloon. (8 points) (Reference: Chang 5.35)
7. A 2.10-L vessel contains 4.65 g of a gas at 1.00 atm and 27.0°C. (a) Calculate the density of the gas in grams per liter. (b) What is the molar mass of the gas? (10 points) (Reference: Chang 5.47)
8. A certain anesthetic contains 64.9 percent carbon, 13.5 percent hydrogen, and 21.6 percent oxygen by mass. At 120°C and 750 mmHg, 1.00 L of the gaseous compound weighs 6.90 g. What is the molecular formula of the compound? (10 points)
9. What is the mass of the solid NH4Cl formed when 73.0 g of NH3(g) are mixed with an equal mass of gaseous HCl? What is the volume and identity of the gas remaining, measured at 14.0°C and 752 mmHg? (8 points) (Reference: Chang 5.59)
10. A mixture of gases contains 0.31 mol CH4, 0.25 mol C2H6, and 0.29 mol C3H8. The total pressure is 1.50 atm. Calculate the partial pressures of the gases. (8 points) (Reference: Chang 5.67)
11. Propane (C3H8) burns in oxygen to produce carbon dioxide gas and water vapor. (a) Write a balanced equation for this reaction. (b) Calculate the number of liters of carbon dioxide measured at STP that could be produced from 7.45 g of propane. (10 points)(Reference: Chang 5.109)
12. A 10.0 g piece of pure aluminum is placed in 75.0 mL of 0.54 M hydrochloric acid at STP condition. They react as follows: 2Al + 6HCl → 3H2(g) + 2AlCl3 Calculate the following:
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.