EFFICIENT CAPITAL MARKETS AND CAPITAL STRUCTURE
The CFO of Baldwin Corporation, Gregg Williams is meeting with the company’s board of directors to discuss the possible effect of the company’s capital budgeting project on the stock price. Gregg believes that when the NPV of $159,624 is released in conjunction with existing information on the company, the stock price will increase by $0.15 given that the company has 1,000,000 shares outstanding. Gregg believes that all investors are rational and will make investment decisions after analyzing all available information. Gregg’s belief is consistent with the theory of efficient capital markets, which he studied at the graduate school.
The theory of efficient capital markets holds that stock prices reflect all available information. Gregg gave the implications of the theory as follows:
A board member, Jon Milosvoski has drawn Gregg’s attention to three forms of market efficiency namely weak form efficiency, semi-strong efficiency, and strong form efficiency. Mr. Milosvoski explains that under each form, different types of information are assumed to reflect in stock prices.
Another board member, David Jefferson, says that new research studies are emerging in behavioral finance that question the rationality of investors. Mr. Jefferson explains that investors do not act rationally all the time in the investment decision making process so the market cannot be efficient. The results of the studies indicate that investors are prone to heuristics-driven biases such as overconfidence, decision regret, familiarity, conservatism, representativeness and house-money effect.
The meeting was postponed to next week when the board will meet to finish the discussion on the efficient markets and consider capital structure of Baldwin Inc.
The board chairman wants you to address the following questions before the next meeting.
1. What different types of information are assumed to reflect in the company’s stock price? Explain the different types of information under each form of market efficiency.
2. An individual investor, Ms. Jones wants to invest in Baldwin Inc. She has gathered data on the company from the current issue of the company’s annual financial report, newspapers and press release of the capital investment project. Assuming the market is semi-strong efficient, can Ms. Jones earn above-average returns using this material public information?
3. Ms. Jones is consulting with her financial advisor, Robert Carl. Robert believes that stock prices move in trends. He also believes that new information does not quickly get to all investors and that it takes time to analyze and act on the new information. He tells Ms. Jones that if investors take time to analyze the information and react, and possibly overreact to it, prices may always deviate from fair market values. Does Robert Carl believe in market efficiency? Explain why.
4. Determine whether the following statements by Gregg are correct or incorrect about efficient market hypothesis:
a. it implies perfect forecasting ability (correct or incorrect)
b. it implies that prices reflect all available information (correct or incorrect)
c. it implies an irrational market (correct or incorrect)
d. it implies prices do not change (correct or incorrect)
e. it results from keen competition among investors (correct or incorrect)
f. investors can reap abnormal profit consistently (correct or incorrect)
5. Explain how behavioral biases of overconfidence, regret, representativeness, and familiarity can affect investment behavior of investors of Baldwin Inc.
6. Given the board meeting next week on capital structure of the company, what are some of the agenda to be discussed at the meeting?
7. Baldwin Inc. wants to determine the optimal capital structure that will maximize the value of the company. Various capital structures have been analyzed as follows:
See attachment for data
What optimal capital structure do you recommend for Baldwin Inc. and why?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.