FIN 3331 Assignment
Emily Smith just received a promotion at work that increased her annual salary to $42,000. She is eligible to participate in her employer’s 401(k) retirement plan to which the employer matches, dollar for dollar, workers’ contributions up to 5% of salary. However, Emily wants to buy a new $25,000 car in 3 years, and she wants to have enough money to make a $10,000 down payment on the car and finance the balance. Fortunately, she expects a sizable bonus this year that she hopes will cover that down payment in 3 years.
A wedding is also in her plans. Emily and her boyfriend, Paul, have set a wedding date two years in the future, after he finishes medical school. In addition, Emily and Paul want to buy a home of their own in 5 years. This might be possible because two years later, Emily will be eligible to access a trust fund left to her as an inheritance by her late grandfather. Her trust fund has$80,000 invested at an interest rate of 5%.
1. Justify Emily’s participation in her employer’s 401(k) plan using the time value of money concepts by calculating the actualannual return on her own contributions. She will contribute $1,000 per year to her 401(k) for 25 years and the employer will match dollar for dollar. Assume that her 401(k) earns 6% per year for 25 years and all contributions are made at the end of each year.
2. Calculate the amount of money that Emily needs to set aside from her bonus this year to cover the down payment on a new car, assuming she can earn 4% on her savings. What if she could earn 10% on her savings?
3. What will be the value of Emily’s trust fund in 36 years, assuming she takes possession of $20,000 in 2 years for her wedding, and leaves the remaining amount of money untouched where it is currently invested?
4. Suggest at least two conditions that Emily and Paul could take to accumulate more for their retirement.
5. Suppose that Emily and Paul purchase a $200,000 home in 5 years and make $40,000 down payment immediately. Find the monthly mortgage payment assuming that the remaining balance is financed at a 3% fixed rate for 15 years. What if its mortgage term is 30 years?
6. What can you conclude about the relationship between the mortgage term and the amount of the monthly payment? From Question 5, is the monthly payment with the 30-year term half as large as the monthly payment with the 15-year term? Explain.
Use the following information to answer the following questions.
ABC, Inc. Income Statement (in thousands)
December 31, 2014
Cost of goods sold 140,000
Gross profit on sales 60,000
Operating expenses 56,000
Operating income (EBIT) 4,000
Interest expense 1,000
Earnings before tax 3,000
Income tax 1,050
Net income available to common stockholders $1,950
Number of shares outstanding 1, 500
Market price per share $22
ABC, Inc. Balance Sheet (in thousands)
December 31, 2014
Accounts receivable 17,800
Total current assets 28,500
Gross fixed assets 70,000
Accumulated depreciation 26,500
Net fixed assets 43,500
Total assets $72,000
Liabilities and Equity
Accounts payable $18,000
Total current liabilities 31,350
Long-term debt 8,250
Total liabilities 39,600
Common stock (par value and paid in capital) 2,000
Retained earnings 30,400
Total stockholders’ equity 32,400
Total liabilities and equity $72,000
Industry Key Ratios
Industry Average Ratios
Current ratio 1.1
Quick ratio 0.60
Days Sales Outstanding (DSO) 25 days
Fixed assets turnover 5.8
Total asset turnover 2.95
Liabilities-to-assets ratio 65%
Net profit margin 1.3%
Return on equity 7.32%
Price/earnings ratio 20.38
Market/book ratio 3.19
1. Calculate current ratio and acid test ratio for the firm.
2. Calculate DSO, fixed assets turnover, and total asset turnover for the firm.
3. Calculate liabilities-to-assets ratio and times-interest-earned ratio for the firm.
4. Calculate net profit margin and return on equity for the firm.
5. Evaluate the performance of the firmin the following areas:
When you explain the firm’s strength or weakness in each area, you must support your arguments through the evaluative reasoning process by providing reasons, methods, criteria, or assumptions behind the claims made.
6. Deductive reasoning starts with a general principle and deduces that it applies to a specific case. Deductive reasoning moves with exacting precision from the assumed truth of a set of premises to a conclusion which cannot be false if those premises are true. Explain the deductive reasoning process applied to analyze thefirm’s performance.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.