Interview a person who currently holds a career that you would like to hold within about three to five years after graduation. (Maybe you’d like to be the CEO of Disney, but I’m talking about a career position that you could reasonably expect to hold within that time frame.) The interview should last around 45 minutes. The objectives of this assignment are:
1. To give you insight into the position.
2. To develop your interviewing and self-presentation skills.
3. To gain experience writing an executive summary.
This is not an employment interview; so do not ask for a job. Present yourself as a student conducting research regarding future career possibilities. This should be a face-to-face OR online interview, preferably in your subject’s workplace. If the only person who has your dream job is in NY, go for something comparable to your dream job.
Please follow these steps for this assignment:
1. Conduct your own research regarding a career and potential companies that interest you. Gather basic information such as a job description, salary, level and type of education required for the position, and specific information regarding the company of interest. Use this information to formulate interview questions. Write up the information you’ve gathered in an annotated bibliography to be turned in to me along with your executive summary. You should use a minimum of three sources, such as newspaper articles, industry blogs, and company web sites. Do note, however, that any information from a company website counts as one source, regardless of how many links within it you’ve clicked.
2. Contact an individual in the position of your choice and ask if they could give you about 45 minutes of their time. Do not interview someone you already know (relatives, friends and their companies are not acceptable for this assignment; do not interview someone in a place you’ve already worked yourself). If your mother’s best friend owns her own public relations company and you’ve never had the chance to ask her about it, you’ll definitely want to talk with her sometime—just not for this assignment.
3. Formulate your interview questions (check Google for ideas) and re-confirm your interview two days before by telephone or email.
4. During the interview, behave professionally. Dress appropriately, in business attire (as appropriate for the industry) if in-person, if online, speak clearly, audibly and ensure that your camera is functioning properly. Introduce yourself, your purpose and your goals for the interview (“My goal for this interview is to learn what it’s like to work in such a position and what the requirements are to be hired in a job like yours”). Explain that you have a number of questions to ask and that you would like to take notes, if the interviewee does not object. Listen carefully, paraphrase responses, and ask for clarification when you do not understand. After finishing your questions, ask your interviewee if there is anything else they would like to tell you. Be conscious of the time you’ve used and do not go over, unless they indicate they wish to continue. Thank them for their time.
5. Get the interviewee’s business card or e-contact information before you leave the interview so you can include it when you hand in your assignment. (If the person does not have a business card, ask for an appropriate substitute, such as a piece of company letterhead.)
6. As soon as possible after the interview, write a thank-you note and mail or email it to your interviewee. Be sure this brief letter is grammatically correct and error free! In your letter, do not use the clichéd phrase, “Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule.”
7. Write a two-page executive summary about your interview. This report is a professional document in style and content which includes summaries on the following topics:
a. Description of the industry/product/service
b. Description of the position
c. Requirements for the position (education, experience, skills)
d. General summary of what you learned, including your own thoughts and reactions
e. Attach your annotated bibliography to the executive summary.
7. Be prepared to give a brief informative presentation regarding your interview. Your total “Interview Package” will consist of:
• 5 to 10 slides and should include extensive notes for each slide.
• Executive Summary (in memo format, addressed to me, Darren Hurst).
• Photocopy/Email copy of your thank-you note.
• Photocopy/Ecopy of the business card of your interviewee (if they do not have a business card, please get a piece of letterhead or a brochure at the very least).
• Annotated bibliography from your pre-interview research in proper reference format (APA style).
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.