The Distinction between Leadership and Management
Think of the managers you have reported to thus far in your career. Now consider the people you have worked with or know of that you would consider leaders. Based on these experiences, what would you surmise about the responsibilities of managers and leaders and about the distinctions between these two categories in health care settings?
This week’s Learning Resources classify management and leadership (which are often confused in everyday discussion) and explain their significance for health care organizations. As you advance professionally, it is critical to understand the distinctions between management and leadership and how you can apply this knowledge for increasing effectiveness in your workplace.
· Review the information in the Learning Resources.
· Conduct additional research on your own and select at least two current, credible sources that contribute to your understanding of management and leadership.
· Reflect on how the roles of management and leadership differ in supporting the organization to set and achieve goals.
· Drawing upon specific examples from a current or previous practice setting, bring to mind someone who seemed to be a leader but not a manager and someone who seemed to be a manager but not a leader (generally speaking, or within a specific circumstance). Be prepared to support your assessment with specific behavioral descriptions found in the literature.
On the Week 8 Discussion Board, 1 page, APA format
1. an analysis of how management and leadership roles differ in terms of supporting an organization to set and achieve goals.
2. In addition, post descriptions of an individual who demonstrates leadership behaviors but not management behaviors and an individual who demonstrates management behaviors but not leadership behaviors.
3. Provide your rationale, identifying specific characteristics of effective managers and leaders. (Note: Do not identify these individuals by name, position, or location.)
· Theory and application (8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
o Review Chapters 2 and 3
Note: Many of the articles in this week’s Required Readings are foundational in the leadership and management literature. The concepts presented in these early articles still apply to today’s workplace.
· Jennings, B. M., Scalzi, C. C., Rodgers, J. D., & Keane, A. (2007). Differentiating nursing leadership and management competencies. Nursing Outlook, 55(4), 169–175.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
In this foundational article, Jennings explores the similarities and differences between leadership and management competencies. The research implies that there is a growing ambiguity between the competencies required in nursing that must be addressed.
· Keys, Y. (2014). Looking ahead to our next generation of nurse leaders: Generation X Nurse Managers. Journal of nursing management, 22(1), 97-105.doiI: 10.1111/jonm.12198
Abstract excerpt: The aim of this study identifies elements of professional success, and personal and professional fulfilment as defined by Generation X Nurse Managers.
· Leach, L. S., & McFarland, P. (2014). Assessing the Professional Development Needs of Experienced Nurse Executive Leaders. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(1), 51-62. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000021
Abstract excerpt: The objective of this study was to identify the professional development topics that senior nurse leaders believe are important to their advancement and success. Visionary leadership, leading complexity, and effective teams were the highest ranked leadership topics. Leading change, advancing health: The future of nursing, healthy work environments, and healthcare reform were also highly ranked topics.
· Marker, D. (2010). Leadership or management? Management Quarterly, 51(2), 31–34.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This article defines what leadership and management are and explains differences between the concepts. According to Marker, managers are associated with position and power, while leadership is associated with position, guidance, and communication.
· Ross, E. J., Fitzpatrick, J. J., Click, E. R., Krouse, H. J., & Clavelle, J. T. (2014). Transformational leadership practices of nurse leaders in professional nursing associations. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(4), 201-206.doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000044
Abstract excerpt: To build transformational frontline nurse leaders, organizations should balance formal leadership training programs with advanced degree attainment to encourage leaders to envision and challenge the future.
· Stoddart, K., Bugge, C., Shepherd, A., & Farquharson, B. (2014). The new clinical leadership role of senior charge nurses: a mixed methods study of their views and experience. Journal of Nursing Management, 22(1), 49-59.DOI: 10.1111/jonm.12008
Abstract excerpt: The aim of this study was to investigate the experience and views of senior charge nurses in relation to the implementation of a national clinical leadership policy.
· Yi, H. H., & Yi, Y. J. (2014). Influence of Leader-Member exchange quality of head nurses and clinical nurses on organizational commitment and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(2), 195-205.
Abstract excerpt: The purpose was to identify the influence the quality of head and clinical nurses’ LMX (Leader-Member Exchange) on job satisfaction and organizational commitment.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.