Awakenings (Guide for Movie Response Paper)
1. Describe the symptoms of the character “Lenny” in childhood as well as adulthood.
2. Describe Lucy’s symptoms.
3. In Lenny’s, Lucy’s and the other similar cases, how do their symptoms compare with those of people with schizophrenia?
4. Describe Dr. Sayer’s “will” theory in regard to his patients’ reactions to the ball. Relate this to the “will” of some people with schizophrenia.
5. What various stimuli make these patients react? (i.e., what reaches them?)
6. Why might these patients have been diagnosed as suffering from “atypical schizophrenia”?
7. Unlike the case of schizophrenia, we know what caused these patients’ disorder. What was it?
8. The older doctor says these patients aren’t thinking, “the virus didn’t spare their higher faculties.” Dr. Sayer asks how he knows that. The older doctor replies, “Because the alternative is unthinkable.” What does he mean by that? What effect did this point of view have on these patients’ diagnosis and treatment? Can you relate this to schizophrenia or mental illness in general?
9. Why does it bother Dr. Sayer that Lucy was drawn to the window rather than to the drinking fountain? Can you relate this to Maslow?
10. The EEG indicates what about Lenny?
11. Dr. Sayer uses an unusual technique to assess his patients. What is it?
12. What finally moves Burt?
13. Why does the poem, “The Panther,” have special significance for Lenny?
14. What is L-Dopa? It is used in the treatment of what disorder?
15. Dr. Sayer parallels Parkinson’s and his patients’ disorder. Describe this.
16. The dopamine circuit is affected in opposite ways in Parkinson’s and schizophrenia. Phenothiazines taken for a long period produce Parkinson-like symptoms in the person with schizophrenia. Knowing this and knowing the effect on phenothiazine on the dompamine circuit, explain why you think L-Dopa “awakes” Dr. Sayer’s patients.
17. What are the various psychological reactions the patients have to their “awakenings”?
18. What Parkinson-like symptoms does Lenny exhibit when he develops tolerance to LDopa?
19. One doctor describes Lenny as being paranoid. How does Dr. Sayer explain this? Describe this in terms of labeling theory.
20. What ethical questions are raised in this movie regarding treatment? What is your opinion?
21. What is the second “awakening” Dr. Sayer refers to at the end of the movie? What does this suggest about the treatment of mental patients?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.